This page provides a selection of useful articles, activities, videos and websites to support the integration of outdoor learning into classroom programmes.
TEACHING / LEARNING RESOURCES
Town Belt Overview
- The Dunedin Town Belt Story Map
- The Dunedin Amenities Society Website
- Dunedin Town Belt Management Plan
History of the Town Belt
- Early History of the Town Belt – Dunedin Amenities Society
- History of Parks and Other Areas – Town Belt StoryMaps
- Historic Points of Interest – Dunedin Amenities Society
Plants in the Town Belt
- Regeneration of Town Belt – DOC UrbanNature Panels
- Kōwhai ‘Project Gold’ (Seeds / Instructions Available)
- Plant Species Listing – Dunedin City Council
- Weedbusting Guide – A practical guide to recognising and controlling weeds in your local area.
Birds in the Town Belt
- Town Belt Birds – 24 birds commonly found in the Town Belt.
- New Zealand Birds Online – Digital Encyclopedia of NZ Birds
- 5 Minute Bird Counts – Method / ID Guide / Data Sheet
- Trees for Birds – How to attract birds to your garden.
- DOC Education Resources
- Science Learning Hub
- Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
- Predator Free NZ: Tools and Resources
- Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research: Tools and Resources
- Kiwi Conservation Club | Hakuturi Toa (KCC)
- Education Outside The Classroom (EOTC) Resource Kete
- Science Capability Resources (Ministry of Education)
For TBK participating schools, a Teacher’s Resource Kete is also available upon request.
TBK Equipment Library
TBK has an ever-growing equipment library, available to all its students and teachers for class project use, including:
- Plant ID Books
- Invertebrate ID Books
- Bug Motels
- White Trays
- Predator Chew Cards
- Predator Tracking Tunnels and Ink Cards
- Possum Traps (Trapinators)